The electrical wires above the electric train are supported by porcelain objects (see arrows). Do you know what they do and how they do it? They are called insulators.
What do insulators do?
What to use
Battery, globe, wires, range of materials to test.
What to do
- Construct a test circuit similar to the one shown in the diagram.
- Test a range of different materials by touching the loose ends of the circuit wires onto the surface of the material.
- Keep the ends of the wires about 1 cm apart.
- See if the light globe comes on.
- You could test some of the following: eraser, pen, badge, pin, paper clip, ruler, paper, coin, beaker, bench top, chair leg, skin, hair, scissors, air and a small piece of black pencil lead.