Activity 1: Australia's form of government
Vocabulary: democracy, representative parliamentary democracy, politician, political party, independent, candidate, legislature, vote.
- Display the modified Handout 7 wall chart.
- Conduct 1a and 1b as described.
- For 1c and 1d, consider conducting a class simulation. Use the information on the wall chart and on Handout 17.
- For 1e, organise pairs so that ESL learners work with a student with better spoken English.
- For 1f, provide the definitions for ESL learners.
Activity 2: History Mystery Case - present day
Vocabulary: Head of State, governor-general.
- Conduct 2a of this activity.
- Refer again to the modified Handout 7 wall chart.
Activity 3: Final report
- Allow ESL learners to work with a student with better spoken English. Reduce the number of tasks if required.