Activity 1: Ancient Greece: time and place
Vocabulary: systems of government, BC, AD, trial, penal colony, city-state, laws.
- Students complete parts 1a, 1b, 1c as described.
- Conduct 1d as a class discussion.
- Explain the information in 'The polis'.
- Prepare Types of government as a handout, with each type of government cut out and presented separately.
- Place ESL learners in groups of six with students who have better spoken English. Prepare a table for completion by the groups. Provide the headers: Type of government, Definition provided, Group's definition, Greek word base.
- Distribute one of the definitions to each group member. The group then works through the table, using the information from the relevant person to fill out each of the sections. The group then discusses and works on a definition in their own words.
- Explain and discuss some of the different views of democracy held by ancient philosophers (optional).