These resources were funded by the Australian Government Department of Education, Science and Training under the National Asian Languages and Studies in Australian Schools Strategy (NALSAS).
This site contains teaching and learning material for Japanese and Chinese language learning for students in Years 5-8.
Student resourcesThe resources consist of three types of objects.
- Scenarios: Each Scenario presents students with a beautifully illustrated narrative told over 12 scenes. Throughout a Scenario, students are presented with small 'in story' tasks, more challenging 'linked activities' and contextually relevant language and cultural information. There are six Scenarios for each language. Japanese Scenarios | Chinese Scenarios
- Explorers: These highly interactive illustrated resources allow students to investigate a place, topic or theme through:
- written and spoken Japanese/Chinese
- more detailed information in English (not translations)
- extensive galleries of images with captions, in both Japanese/Chinese and English
- two tours of the content in Japanese/Chinese, presented as an illustrated discussion between two characters.
There are four Explorers for each language. Japanese Explorers | Chinese Explorers
- Space voyage games - SOS and Computer virus: These innovative games place students in Scenarios where they must use Japanese/Chinese to solve a number of problems within a limited time. The game is predicated on prior learning and students must use conversational language to 'solve problems and save the day'.
There are two games for each language. Japanese Space voyage games | Chinese Space voyage games
Teacher resourcesAll student resources are accompanied by detailed support materials for teachers.
Go to Japanese Teachers' notes
Go to Chinese Teachers' notes