Activity 1: Our Australian nation (30 min)
1a Conduct a whole-class discussion to discover what is known about Australia as a federal nation of states and territories with local, state/territory and Commonwealth governments. Use a wall map or atlases to identify places.
Your discussion should include:
1b Introduce the term 'federation'.
- general knowledge of your own state or territory including the names of and distances to other cities and towns and the capital
- names of and distances to the capitals of other states and territories
- interstate travel and mobility between states and territories, eg borders, quarantine gates
- overseas travel and the process of leaving and/or returning to Australia, eg passports, customs
- the levels of government including local councils, state/territory parliaments, Commonwealth Parliament (identify Canberra on the map).
Activity 2: A letter from the past (15 min)
2a Display Handout 1 explaining that this is an adapted copy of a real letter that was published in the Argus newspaper.
Highlight features such as:
- the old-fashioned language
- the use of the word 'colony' instead of 'state'
- the use of the term 'federation'.