Activity 3: History Mystery Case #1215
Vocabulary: rights, responsibilities.
Conduct this activity as follows:
- Divide the class into the 4 groups according to the roles on Handout 2. Appoint one person King.
- Discuss each group's rights and responsibilities as described in the handout.
- Explain the events leading to the Magna Carta using the information in Handout 3.
- Conduct a role-play. Organise the groups to enact the events leading to the Magna Carta. The King John Rap (Handout 1) can provide script ideas for the King and Barons. Prepare similar simple scripts for the Freemen and Serfs.
- Make a chart headed Magna Carta. Using the translations on Handout 4 as a guide, construct the items for the chart with the class.
- Discuss the questions on Handout 5 as a class.
Assess ESL learners orally. Prompt if necessary, by repeating the questions from Handout 5.
Back to 'Parliament versus Monarch - At a glance'