Focus question 4: What is Australia's record on Indigenous people's rights?
Conduct all activities.
Activity 1 | Activity 2 | Assessment task
Activity 1: Aboriginal people and human rights
Vocabulary: status, second-class citizens, amendment.
- Explain the introduction to this focus question. Write the key facts on the board. Discuss.
- ESL learners complete part 1a of this activity working in pairs viewing the Freedom Ride video on Stories of Democracy CD ROM. This video is accessed by selecting 'Search' from the Main screen. Type in the words 'freedom ride' and search the entire CD.
- Discuss 1b.
- Discuss 'Changes to laws' as a class.
Activity 2: Securing human rights
Vocabulary: elimination, international standards.
- Discuss 'The Racial Discrimination Act' as a class.
- Students view the 'Human Rights' segment on Stories of Democracy CD ROM.
- Assign the ESL learner a 'right'. Provide a structure for the report. Set fewer bullet points for investigation. (Match these to the information provided).
Back to 'Human Rights - At a glance'