Activity 4: More direct democracy for Australia?
Vocabulary: direct democracy, constitution, referendum, plebiscite, citizen-initiated referendum.
Substitute Activity 4 with the following:
- Explain and discuss the following examples of direct democracy in Australia. Use visual support if possible.
- Changing the Constitution (by referendum)
- Asking the people about a particular issue (plebiscite)
- Explain briefly citizen-initiated referendums, using Switzerland as an example, and death penalty and gun laws in some US states.
Activity 5: Stories of Democracy CD ROM
- ESL learners work in pairs to complete the 'Should the People Rule?' activity.
Assessment task: Interview - How do principles of democracy affect decision making in your life?
- Explain what an interview involves and what makes for a good interview. ESL learners then write their own questions and practise interviewing with a partner.
Back to 'Should the People Rule? - At a glance'